Wednesday, July 8, 2015

Miss Earth Maryland 2015 Visits United States Department of Agriculture Headquarters

Gree(n)tings everyone!!!

I hope you and yours are doing well. I've been busy getting ready for nationals but also continuing my service duties as Miss Earth Maryland exploring my beautiful state and advocating for my Beauties for a Cause project. I'm so excited that two weeks from today I'll be getting ready to head to California for the opportunity for the job of Miss Earth United States. I've been working a lot and smart as Miss Earth Maryland, and by God's grace I hope to continue this on a bigger platform as Miss Earth US. All modesty aside, I want this really bad but as a Christ-believer, I know it's in God's hands. If you'll like to follow my preparation and journey, follow me on FacebookTwitter, or Instagram.
Miss Earth Maryland 2015 Ruby B. Johnson
On June 30th, I visited The United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) office in our nation's capital, District of Columbia. USDA is the federal executive department responsible for developing and executing federal government policy on farming, agriculture, forestry, and food. It aims to meet the needs of farmers and ranchers, promote agricultural trade and production, work to assure food safety,protect natural resources, foster rural communities and end hunger in the United States and internationally. I got a tour of the building and learned about the different departments and spoke to some folks who work there. My tour was done by the Sustainability Manager in the Office of Operations, Mr. Edward Murtagh; I know Mr. Murtagh through GreenWheaton, an organization I'm a proud volunteer of. This office actively promotes sustainable practices in the country and in the office. I got to see ways in which they practice this in the building's cafeteria with biodegradable containers, techno trash bins for disposing batteries and old electronics, rain gardens, etc.
Miss Earth Maryland 2015 Ruby B. Johnson
Did you know that the USDA Administration Building is also known as the Jamie L. Whitten Building? The USDA headquarters projects into the National Mall from the larger USDA South Building, and is the only building on the Mall that is not intended for use by the general public. It was the first large Beaux-Arts style building in Washington and set the prototype for the later buildings of the Federal Triangle. The Whitten Building was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1974. In addition to getting my tour of the building, I was granted access to the rooftop. Check out the beautiful view of our nation's capital. A view of the city including the National Mall, Washington Monument, Smithsonian museums, etc.
Miss Earth Maryland 2015 Ruby B. Johnson





Ruby B. Johnson,
Your Miss Earth Maryland 2015
Continuing the legacy of beauty and responsibility
Help me compete at Miss Earth United States 2015. DONATE HERE

No comments:

Post a Comment